Sunday, November 2, 2014

Distance Learning is Evolving

           

         Throughout the years distance learning has continuously been changing. Maybe the ever-evolving technology it incorporates is the factor in this or maybe it is the way that technology has begun to make people think or more than likely it is both. Technology is ever changing, so something that includes it at its core cannot stay the same. Also, with technology more at the forefront of, well, everything, people have to think differently, which means they, too, have to change. We are no longer the generation of our parents who sat through lecture upon lecture and copied notes verbatim from teachers but instead we are the users and innovators of a different form of education, one of which is made available to anyone.
          Distance learning can be accessed anywhere that has Internet available and a computer. This means that people who before could not afford to drive to a tradition class or have the time to attend a traditional class can now make their dreams of a degree come true. As a full-time teacher, coach and someone who lives at least one hour from any university, it was going to be impossible for me to get another degree unless I went to an online program. I was weary at first about an online degree but after speaking with others who have done distance learning I decided to give it a try. I am so glad I did. Many others are in the same position that I was a year ago and now they too have the option of distance learning, which was not always available.
            This week I began new course in distance learning at Walden University. Before this week, I viewed distance learning as simple online courses or doing some content online while still going to a traditional class; however, after reading our resources and watching the videos provided to us, I know that this is not all that distance learning has to offer. Behind the computer screen there are other learners out there with many other experiences with technology and distance learning than myself who can offer insight to my education and my studies. They are so valuable as are my professors.
            I am not alone in my education in distance learning, which before beginning my program I always thought was the case. There are resources, educators, and peers who are all eager to help one in succeeding in their quest to a degree and to further their knowledge. According to Dr. Mike Simonson, distance education includes two parts: distance teaching and distance learning. Dr. Simonson defines distance education as “formal education in which the learning group are separated by geography and sometimes, by time ”  and use telecommunications for instruction (Laureate Education, n.d.) (Simonson, Smaldino & Albright, 2012). This is so true when it comes to Walden University and its courses.  However, like I stated before my peers are just as important as my professors and the resources they provide. My peers add extra experience and ideas, so they need to be included in the definition somewhere.
           Now, I do agree with Dr. Simonson that distance education is growing at a rapid rate (Laureate Education, n.d.). When I was in high school in 2005, distance education was never brought up. Even when I went to college in the fall of 2005, I did not know of any classes solely offered as a distance course. I never even thought that it was possible or a reasonable to learn. Throughout my undergraduate career (2005-2008), I slowly discovered distance learning and began to accept it as a reasonable way to earn credit and to learn. I was never taught about online learning but now as an adult, I fully accept online learning. I see it as the way of the future—not the only way—, which is why I decided to go into this degree program. Distant education is more widely accepted as an accredited way to earn a degree than it ever was and will continue with its rise.

References:
Laureate Education (Producer). (n.d.). Distance education: The next generation [Video file]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu

Simonson, M., Smaldino, S., Albright, M., & Zvacek, S. (2012). Teaching and learning at a distance: Foundations of distance education (5th ed.) Boston, MA: Pearson.


2 comments:

  1. Jodi,
    I kind of like the fact that distance education allows learners to access their instructional materials anywhere there is an internet connection. I think this is very cool because it deviates from the need of having to be in class to discuss something with peers or the instructor. I remember when I went to Europe I was using the hotel computer to communicate with my classmates, all the way from France! I am also continuously surprised at the many resources and opportunities that online (distance) learning has to offer. I am excited to continue my education through Walden to discover the many possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diana and Jodi,
    I would not be able to go to classes after work at my current job as I was able to do for my teaching credential program. I did that for 3 years, and at the end I said, "Never again unless it is absolutely something I love!" At least now when I wake up at 3 or 4 am I can work on my class, and log onto Blackboard to see if there are new discussion posts, or watch a video. It is much more convenient. Some days I can log on at lunch or go into work early, or stay late if I want to use the larger desk and better lit set up I have there than at home. Distance learning is Versatile.

    ReplyDelete