Sunday, March 2, 2014

Course Reflection


Throughout the past eight weeks, I have explored learning theories, learning styles, educational technologies, and ideas on motivation. I have never learned so much in such a short time either.  I have grown not only as an educator but also as a learner.
While continuing to learn about how people learn, I have discovered that it is not always black and white. People can learn in a multitude of ways such as through audio, visual, kinesthetic, and many more ways. I have found that sometimes students do not learn in just one way but through all of these styles based upon the content being taught. Through this research and reading, it has become apparent that the way in which I thought I learned is not always the best way to for myself to learn. I need to accept this and allow others to teach me and not be “stuck in my ways”.
Learning theories, and styles go hand in hand as well. Learning theories are different “ideas” on how people learn and sometimes go with certain theories. For example, the cognitive theory goes better with hands-on experiences as does the Adult Learning theory. An educator does not need to hold onto one specific theory but can fluctuate between several depending on the content and age being taught. Kindergarten children will more than likely have a teacher that looks at the Behaviorist theory while those same students in high school may have a teacher that appreciates the Cognitivist theory and then in college a professor who likes the Adult Learning Theory. They are all the same students being taught but with teachers with different content, age of students, and theories. Educational Technology and motivation are very important factors when it comes to learning as well. What will be used and how it will be used is carefully considered by educators and again changes through grade levels and content areas.
The information that I have obtained through this course will help me as I further my career in instructional design in multiple ways. First, it allows me to look at what I believe is a good learning theory but also all the different styles in which students learn. I will be able to apply these to my trainings for adult learners as well as to others in a company. The technology and motivation tools are also very valuable to me as I enter the field of instructional design. The knowledge that I have gained will allow me to develop training and courses with my learners and end results in mind instead of the day-to-day information. It will benefit all in the long run not just myself.


3 comments:

  1. I'll be following your blog through this course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am now following your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am following your Blog. Elaina

    ReplyDelete